Dundee Celtic were crowned 2019/20 SFL-Dundee champions for the first time in their history with two matches in the season to spare.

Before they took to the court on Thursday night, their place at the summit of the table was already assured after defeats for second-placed Dundee City and third-placed Dundee Stars.

However, they still managed some drama in a hard-fought clash with FC33 as goalkeeper Billy Hoon netted for the third time this season, earning a last-gasp point to deny 33 a fine victory.

That was after City were seen off by a sharp Dundee University 1sts 7-4 and Stars lost out 6-3 to AGB Dundee West while Dundee West Colts earned their biggest win of the campaign, leapfrogging St Andrews University with a 5-0 victory.

SFL-Dundee returned to DISC for the remainder of the season and it took just eight seconds for the goals to start flowing.

That’s all the time it took for Arran Fraser to power through the Dundee City defence and find the net to put Dundee University 1sts in front.

The students were off to a flyer and cemented their lead through Jack Penn and an own goal within four minutes of kick-off.

League top scorer Mikey Craig rounded Elliot Smith in the Uni goal to cut the deficit but Sam Pirrie regained the three-goal difference by half-time.

Craig netted again shortly after the break before Ross Colquhoun made it 5-2 and Fraser burst clear for a sixth.

Paul Blair found the net for City before Fraser notched his hat-trick. Craig would emulate that on 34 minutes but there was to be no comeback as City’s slim hopes of the title ended.

Dundee City (white) were beaten by Dundee University 1sts.

That left Dundee Stars needing a win to make Celtic wait a little longer to secure the title but they fell to an impressive defensive show from AGB Dundee West.

Stars did take the lead thanks to Louie Anderson cutting inside and finding the bottom corner with a fierce strike.

Darryl Gowans quickly levelled with a good finish before Rab Pritchard turned the tables with a close-range effort. Gowans made it 3-1 with his second from distance.

Stars fought back with two goals in two minutes from Ross Paterson but once more fell behind in the final seconds of the first half as Michael Wallace swept home.

In the second half, a disciplined AGB kept their younger opponents at bay and took advantage of slip-ups as Stars gambled with the fly-keeper tactic.

It was Steve Brown who took full advantage, stealing the ball in his own half and finding the empty net on 32 minutes before bursting clear in the closing seconds to add his second.

That saw AGB jump above Stars on goal difference and two points behind second place.

Louie Anderson finds the net with a fine goal for Dundee Stars.

It also guaranteed Celtic the title.

However, they certainly didn’t have it their own way against FC33 who were seconds from being party poopers as they led going into the final minute.

It was a tight contest throughout but Celtic’s Stephen Ramsay backheeled his side in front after 10 minutes before Euan McIlvenny’s long-range buzzer-beater from inside his own half levelled things up with the final kick of the opening period.

No quarter was given by either side and it looked like 33 had earned a fine victory after Darren Watson slid the ball home with three minutes to go.

However, Michael McBrearty’s second yellow card for handball left his side with four men for the closing couple of minutes.

Celts goalie Billy Hoon had scored twice on the smaller court at RPC-Caird Park but showed he can pop up with a goal on the big one, too, as he swept home from a corner in the final minute.

St Andrews University (light blue) were well beaten by Dundee West Colts.

The biggest win of the evening, though, went to Dundee West Colts, who moved above St Andrews University on goal difference with a 5-0 thumping of the students.

There was very little in the contest with Jamie McCann’s first-half double the difference until the closing stages.

In the 39th minute, he added his third of the night before Cammy Quinn and Luke Miller gave Colts their biggest victory of the season and a clean sheet to boot.