Dundee Celtic moved to within a victory of their first SFL-Dundee title after a hard-fought 4-3 victory over Dundee University 2nds.

They were pushed all the way by the side bottom of the table but Paul Moran’s second-half double brought them to the brink of the championship.

In the League Cup, Dundee Stars booked a date with AGB Dundee West in the semi-finals after edging out Dundee City 4-3 while FC33 moved above St Andrews University with an 8-4 victory.

Elsewhere, a last-gasp Ross Colquhoun goal saved Dundee University 1sts from defeat against Dundee West Colts as they played out an entertaining 3-3 draw.

Dundee Celtic goalie Billy Hoon goes for goal.

League leaders Celtic headed into their clash with bottom side Dundee University 2nds knowing three points would be a massive step towards the title.

But they didn’t have it all their own way against the students.

Ryan Sivewright gave Celts the lead after just three minutes but the 2nds refused to let them build on that with Charles King smashing in an equaliser after 10 minutes.

Celtic keeper Billy Hoon had been among the goals in the last two games but the adventurous tactic backfired this time as Elliot Giles nicked the ball before knocking into the net.

That lead only lasted 60 seconds, however, as Jordan Timmons levelled matters before the break.

Moran’s quickfire double did the damage just after half-time but the 2nds kept themselves in the contest with Scott Brown following up to make it 4-3 with 11 minutes remaining.

Celtic, though, saw out the game and can now win the title against FC33 next week.

Dundee Stars (red) are into the League Cup semi-finals.

Another match that finished 4-3 was the League Cup second round match between Dundee City and Dundee Stars with the latter coming from behind twice.

Mikey Craig had City in control in the first half with two goals inside 10 minutes before Scott Milne replied with two of his own before the break.

With 10 to go, Paul Blair regained the lead for City before a dramatic late comeback from Stars.

Faisal Ahmed made it 3-3 on 33 minutes before Gavin Ogilvie fired his team into the semis with three minutes remaining.

Adam Fairweather knocks in at the far post for FC33.

FC33 earned the biggest victory of the night and leapfrogged opponents
St Andrews University in the process.

They had to come from behind, however, after Griffin Godsick’s opening goal.

Darren Watson swiftly put his side in a commanding position, though, with a burst of goals that saw him earn a hat-trick within three minutes.

Godsick got another back before Peter Hine and Adam Fairweather netted within 60 seconds of each other to lead 5-2 at half-time.

And they continued that in the second period with Fairweather getting his second and Michael McBrearty getting in on the act.

Godsick would grab his third before Ben Hessell and Scott Campbell (pen) exchanged goals in the closing seconds.

Dundee Uni 1sts goalie Elliott Smith punches clear.

Dundee West Colts and Dundee University 1sts left things late with all six goals coming in the second half.

Goalkeepers Rob Black and Elliott Smith were on top in the opening stages and it took until the 22nd minute for Colquhoun to break the deadlock.

And then a further 10 minutes before the second goal arrived as Jamie McCann netted only for Hubert Cousin to earn a debut goal 60 seconds later.

The Colts have been moving in the right direction in recent weeks and thought they’d earned another victory thanks to Cammy Quinn’s two goals in two minutes only for Colquhoun to pop up in the closing seconds to claim a share of the spoils.