There was an onslaught of goals as SFL-Dundee kicked off 2020 with a bang and leaders Dundee Celtic certainly finished matchday 12 in explosive fashion.

With seven matches remaining, the Celts lead the way at the top of the table by six points after a remarkable come-from-behind 4-3 victory over Dundee University 1sts.

Dundee Stars had hoped to be cutting that gap to three after a fine first-half display saw them past FC33 6-4 before Dundee City hit double-figures to keep pace in third.

Also knocking in 11 goals were AGB Dundee West, who move up to fourth three points behind Stars in second.

Dominic Duffy got the first goal for Dundee Celtic.

The Celtic-Uni clash was a tale of two goalkeepers in a way after Celtic goalie Billy Hoon rattled in a superb long-ranger to equalise late on before the students had a goal from fly-keeper Nuno Borges ruled out with just seconds remaining.

For the vast majority of the contest it looked like the Uni would give their slim title hopes a real shot in the arm as they led the way.

In a very tight opening half, Borges swept home from close range to make it 1-0 at the break before Arran Fraser’s individual effort doubles that lead on 25 minutes.

Dominic Duffy halved that deficit two minutes later but it was 3-1 on 32 minutes as Sam Pirrie expertly back-heeled home following Paul Moran’s goal-line clearance.

Moran would shrug that off by getting on the scoresheet a minute later before a dramatic final three minutes ended the night in controversy.

Pushing for the equaliser, goalie Hoon stepped up to play his part by firing in from halfway to level matters.

The Hoops weren’t finished there, though, as Moran dinked in what proved to be the winner.

The students, though, thought they had an equaliser when Borges fired in his second while acting as fly keeper – wearing a bib rather than a goalkeeper’s jersey, though, the goal was ruled out.

Dundee Stars on the attack as Zak Benmalek goes for goal.

That leaves Stars trailing the leaders by six points after a fast start to the year earned them victory over FC33.

And they wasted no time at all as Gavin Ogilvie struck inside the first minute before Zak Benmalek made it 3-0 after seven minutes with two quick goals.

Brandon Hawes notched another two and Ogilvie got his second as they swept away in the first half.

Trialist Darren Watson smashed in a fine goal with Michael McBrearty also netting in the opening period.

It was a better second half for 33 as Charles Lamont and McBrearty goals threatened a comeback but they couldn’t add any more.

Dundee City goalkeeper Jhony Pozo sees a Dundee West Colts effort wide.

The other two matches saw a massive 30 goals between them as City won 11-5 over Dundee West Colts and AGB Dundee West romped to an 11-3 victory over bottom side Dundee University 2nds.

It was the Colts who took the lead through Luke Miller’s third-minute strike but City took firm control in the first half.

Two from Mikey Craig were added to by Aarryn Jackson, Steven McLauchlan (2) and Mark McDonald strikes with Cavin McLaren replying to make it 6-2 at the break.

And the goals kept coming after the restart with Craig and McLauchlan earning hat-tricks and Jackson and McDonald getting doubles. Blaine Angus would add goal No 11 after 30 minutes.

Colts made the scoreline more respectable with a late flurry from Rae, Ben Somerville’s accurate finish and Jamie McCann’s last-minute strike.

Darryl Gowans (centre) notched four times for AGB Dundee West.

That wouldn’t be the biggest win of the week, though, as AGB Dundee West took no prisoners against the Uni 2nds with Darryl Gowans on the goal trail.

He got the scoring started with two goals inside the opening three minutes, the second a flicked header, before top scorer Graeme Dailly made it 3-0 after six minutes.

There was no let up as Nico Hadden rolled in a fourth before Gowans got his hat-trick on 19 minutes after Alek Walsh got the students on the scoresheet.

Gowans added his fourth and his team’s sixth before setting up George Cran for goal No 7 a minute after Ganesh Nalawade had made it 6-2.

Scott Buist and Amir Pourali exchanged goals after the half-hour before Hadden and Dailly added their seconds with Steve Brown getting in on the act, too.

That result sees AGB leapfrog Dundee University ahead of next week’s clash with third-placed Dundee City.

Next week also sees Dundee teams get their Scottish Cup campaigns under way.