Futsal: Top two open up lead at summit of SFL-Dundee

Dundee Stars (red) went four points clear in second spot.

Dundee Celtic and Dundee Stars stretched open a lead at the summit of SFL-Dundee after clocking up impressive wins at RPC Caird Park.

Leaders Celtic got over their defeat to Dundee City the previous week with a gutsy 6-4 victory over third-placed St Andrews University.

And Stars moved to within three points of the top by coming from behind to beat Dundee West Colts, going four points ahead of the rest of the division.

Also racking up a good win was AGB Dundee West over FC33 while the battle of the Dundee University teams saw the 1sts get the better of the 2nds.

In the second week at the league’s winter home of Caird Park, teams were getting to grips with the tight court as the goals flew in.

Youssef puts St Andrews Uni in front.

Two of the top three kicked things off in matchday eight as St Andrews took on leaders Celtic.

The students grabbed an early lead through Pierre El-Sayed Youssef’s low finish on six minutes before Stephen Ramsay added to the previous week’s hat-trick with the equaliser five minutes later.

Ramsay made it two trebles in two weeks with strikes either side of the break with Jordan Timmons also on target as the Celts took control with a 4-1 lead.

John Barton gave Saints hope before two goals in a minute from Phil Durrant and Barton again levelled up the scores with seven minutes remaining.

Celtic, though, showed why they are top of the tree as Timmons gave his side the lead once more before Paul Moran sealed the points in the last minute.

Dundee Celtic (green) lead the way at the top of the table.

Stars also had to come from behind as Dundee West Colts led 2-1 at half-time. Zak Benmalek put Stars in front early on before Cavan McLaren and Jimmy Webster turned things around.

Dundee’s B team rattled in five goals in nine second-half minutes, however, to earn the points.

Lewis Thomson had his shooting boots on with three goals with Damian Kunc and Faisal Ahmed also on target.

Colts’ Luke Miller and Louie Anderson exchanged late strikes as Stars ran out 8-3 winners.

Lewis Thomson finds the net for Stars.

Also enjoying their night were AGB Dundee West as they leapfrogged an under-strength FC33.

The first half was a tight affair before George Cran broke the deadlock with a close-range finish in the final minute of the first half.

FC33’s lack of numbers began to count as AGB turned the screw in the second period. First Steve Brown saw an effort deflected in on 22 minutes before another own goal made it 3-0.

Brown added two goals in two minutes to send his team five goals clear and goalkeeper Rob Black was moments away from a clean sheet before Michael Easton grabbed a consolation with 18 seconds remaining.

FC33’s Paddy Dolan goes for goal against AGB Dundee West.

Dundee Uni 1sts moved into mid-table with their third victory of the season but they didn’t have it all their own way against their 2nds.

The B side took an early lead through Clement Bakina before Sam Pirrie quickly levelled. Arran Fraser grabbed two goals either side of Charles King’s strike as the first period ended 3-2.

Kristof Nemes made it 3-3 before James Lamont and Fraser’s third put the 1sts 5-3 up. Alek Walsh got another back before Ross Colquhoun sealed the points for the 1sts.

Dundee Uni 1sts on the attack against their 2nds.