Futsal: No tricks for Celtic as they treat themselves to lead at top of table

Dundee Celtic came from behind to beat Dundee University 1sts.

Dundee Celtic pulled off a trick as they treated themselves to a four-point Hallowe’en lead at the top of SFL-Dundee with a hard-fought 2-1 success over Dundee University 1sts.

The league leaders had to come from behind against the students in a tense clash at DISC to open up the gap ahead of second-placed St Andrews University.

New boys FC33 had the chance to move to within a point of Saints but came out on the wrong side of some late, late drama as they were leapfrogged by Dundee Stars in a 3-2 defeat.

AGB Dundee West, meanwhile, moved off the foot of the table with a fine 6-0 thumping of Dundee University 2nds and Dundee City also welcomed their second victory of the season to move up the table.

Dundee University 1sts on the ball against Celtic.

It’s Celtic, though, that continue to blaze a trail at the top of the table.

They gave new signing Jordan Timmons a debut, captain of Dundee West’s perfect season last campaign, but were missing goalkeeper Billy Hoon.

And they were up against it as the Uni firsts took a second-half lead as Craig Kemlo found the far corner with a low finish on 23 minutes.

Pressure came from the league leaders and that told as Paul Moran levelled things up with six minutes left on the clock.

They grabbed the win as Dominic Duffy forced the ball home for his second winner in two weeks.

FC33 take the game to Dundee Stars.

The match of the night, however, was undoubtedly Stars’ win over FC33 with two goals in the final minute swinging the game one way and then the other.

Scott Milne was a man on a mission for Stars as he powered in two goals inside 11 minutes as Stars took control of the contest early on.

FC33, though, kept themselves in the game and fought a way back in through Greig Cushnie’s goal on 28 minutes.

Scott Campbell’s side kept knocking on the door and thought they had earned themselves at least a point as stand-in goalie Francis Bryceland stepped forward to fire in from range with less than 60 seconds left.

Their joy would turn to pain quickly, however, as Milne raced up the other end to complete his hat-trick, though Gareth Mowatt had to make two good saves in the final seconds as Stars held on.

AGB Dundee West clear danger against Dundee University 2nds.

AGB Dundee West started the night off in bottom spot but pushed up three places after an emphatic 6-0 victory over Dundee University 2nds.

Two quickfire goals from Steve Brown and Graeme Dailly inside nine minutes had AGB in control. They never gave that up in the second half as Dailly added another two goals with Nico Hadden and debutant Jon Rosscraig getting on the scoresheet as West’s second string earned their biggest-ever victory.

Dundee City’s Mikey Craig (white) and Dundee West Colts’ Jamie McCann battle for the ball.

West Colts, though, drop to the bottom after Dundee City earned themselves a welcome three points with a late comeback.

Mark McDonald gave City the lead after seven minutes but John McIntosh immediately pegged them back before Jamie McCann continued his goalscoring form by putting Colts ahead before the break.

They couldn’t hold on to their lead in the second-half, however, as City scored twice in the closing four minutes through McDonald again and Steven McLauchlan to move into mid-table.