Dundee Celtic sent out a statement to SFL-Dundee that they will be the team to beat this season as they opened up a five-point gap at the top of the table.

That came after an impressive 8-2 thumping of chasers Dundee Stars, who drop from second to fourth in a congested top half.

Stars fell behind Dundee City, whose 5-4 victory over bottom side Dundee University 2nds saw them move into second spot, and AGB Dundee West as they made it five wins from six with a 5-2 win over St Andrews University.

Also picking up three points were FC33 with a welcome 9-3 beating dished out to a young Dundee West Colts side to move them closer to the sides above.

Celtic goalie Billy Hoon gets down to save a Stars effort in the first half.

The battle of the top two was the standout fixture of the night and leaders Celtic certainly lived up to the billing.

The first half was fairly even as Stephen Ramsay and Lewis Thomson exchanged goals in the sixth minute before Dominic Duffy put the Hoops ahead with both goalkeepers keeping the score down.

Jordan Timmons’ penalty seconds before the break put them in control before they ran away with the contest in the last 10 minutes.

Paul Moran rattled in twice to sandwich Timmons’ second before Ramsay added his second and third in the final two minutes.

Scott Milne notched a consolation late on, too.

Dundee City (white) move into second spot after a hard-fought win over Dundee University 2nds.

Stars falling to defeat meant the sides below could take advantage with City and AGB taking their opportunity.

It’s City who moved into second, one point ahead of West, after a hard-fought victory over an improving Dundee University 2nds side.

The students may be bottom of the league but they are no pushovers and they took the lead through a fine Charles King finish.

Mark McDonald levelled things before the break before once more the 2nds went in front thanks to Scott Brown.

City rallied, however, as Steven McLauchlan made it 2-2 and then goalie Graeme Smith strode forward to fire in a third.

Mikey Craig and McDonald again took the game away from the Uni side before Elliott Giles made it a tense final few minutes but there was to be no late comeback.

St Andrews University’s Ben Hessell on the attack as his side fell 5-2 to AGB Dundee West.

AGB Dundee West continue to rack up the wins with goalscorers Steve Brown and Graeme Dailly keeping up their battle to be the club’s top scorer.

Brown’s low strike after two minutes set them on their way and they led St Andrews University for the rest of the contest.

Dailly made it 2-0 at half-time with his 11th of the season before Brown joined him on the same tally a minute after half-time.

The students worked their way back into the game, however, with two goals in two minutes from top scorer Ben Hessell as he too moved onto 11 for the campaign.

Dailly wasn’t to be outdone, though, as he restored AGB’s two-goal lead before George Cran’s bundled finish from Brown’s corner completed a deserved victory.

John Russell keeps out a Dundee West Colts effort for FC33.

Also enjoying a well-earned three points were Futsal Club 33 after they put a poor run behind them with a 9-3 victory over Dundee West Colts.

Peter Hine opened the scoring early on only for the league’s top scorer Jamie McCann to level matters.

A swift double from Frankie Bryceland was added to by Charles Lamont’s brace and Adam Fairweather’s strike to give FC33 a 6-1 lead at the break.

Hine added his second and third goals alongside a Paddy Dolan goal as 33 found their shooting boots.

Ben Sommerville would get two back for a young Colts side in the second period.

That sees FC33 move clear of the bottom two.