Goals fly in as SFL-Dundee hots up

St Andrews University's Ben Hessell finds the corner against AGB Dundee West.

IT was a goal-laden matchday two in SFL-Dundee as Dundee Celtic kept their place at the top of the table with a 4-1 win in a fiery clash with Dundee Stars.

Thirty-one goals were spread out across the four matches at DISC as the division begins to heat up.

Celtic were joined by St Andrews University on six points out of six after they edged AGB Dundee West 4-3. Picking up their first-ever win was Dundee University 2nds in an epic contest with Dundee City while new boys FC33 and Dundee West Colts picked up their first point of the season with a hard-fought 4-4 draw.

Dundee Celtic’s Alex Gibb celebrates one of his goals.

In the final match of the night, a host of bookings were dished out in the game where an Alex Gibb hat-trick and Flynn Duffy strike did the damage for Celtic as they added a 4-1 victory to their opening-day 6-0 win.

Gibb’s own goal counted for Stars in a match that threatened to boil over at times.

St Andrews University also stayed perfect in second with a hard-fought 4-3 win over AGB Dundee West.

Steven Brown got West off to a fast start before Griffin Godsick levelled and Akira Bowler gave the students a 2-1 lead at the break.

Brown didn’t hang about after the break either as he netted an equaliser within seconds of the restart. St Andrews, though, took control with a quickfire double from Ben Hessell.

Chris Brash rattled in to make it 4-3 but saw his late effort touched onto the post by keeper Aiden Hawker with just seconds to go as they chased an equaliser.

Dundee Uni 2nds (red) saw off Dundee City.

The University of Dundee 2nds got their first win of the season as they prevailed 6-5 over Dundee City.

The students had fallen to a 6-0 thrashing in their opening match of the season but improved massively to surprise City.

Adam Hounat’s early double had the 2nds 2-0 up after six minutes before Aarryn Jackson and Mikey Craig levelled matters at half-time.

Clement Bakina for the Uni and City’s Steven McLauchlan exchanged goals before the students opened up the match-winning lead.

Two from Charles King and a third for Hounat made it 6-3 before a late rally from City saw Jackson notch his hat-trick. City, though, start with two defeats as they fell 6-5.

Dundee West Colts keeper David Boylan saves from FC33’s Adam Fairweather.

The opening match of the night saw new sides Dundee West Colts and Futsal Club 33 got off the mark as they played out a 4-4 thriller.

In a match that swung one way and then the other, Jamie McCann gave the Colts an early lead before two from Michael Easton and one from Charles Lamont had FC33 seemingly in control.

The young West team had other ideas, however, as they roared back in the second half to lead 4-3 with Jake Firby’s 29th-minute goal added to by McCann’s second and third.

With just seconds left, though, FC33 grabbed a point as Easton finished from close range.