WATCH: MD 18 – Last-gasp winner sparks Montrose joy

Montrose finished their SFL-Dundee season in dramatic fashion as John McIntosh’s winner with seven seconds remaining saw off St Andrews University in the battle for second spot.

Both sides were locked on 25 points each going into the penultimate matchday of the campaign and the students thought they had made themselves favourites to be runners-up after equalising with just 26 seconds left on the clock, only for Montrose to steal a winner.

That came after champions Dundee West went within one game of a perfect season as they thrashed Dundee University 12-2, dropping the students from second spot to fourth.

In-form Dundee City, meanwhile, continued their fine form with a third win on the bounce to go level with Dundee Celtic, after the Celts were given a nine-point penalty.

Dryburgh, too, had plenty to celebrate after picking up their third win of the season, coming from behind to beat Dundee West FD 3-2.

Bryan Deasley opens the scoring for Montrose.

The contest of the evening, though, saw strong defensive performances from both Montrose and St Andrews with only one goal scored in the opening 39-and-a-half minutes of play.

Goalkeepers Billy Hoon and Aiden Hawker were in fine form once more with both coming into the match on the back of clean sheets.

Eventually, despite chances at both ends, Montrose took the lead on 23 minutes with a superbly-taken goal by Bryan Deasley as he continued his goal-a-game start to life in futsal. Cutting in from the left, the former Dundee footballer poked a fine finish beyond Hawker.

That looked like it might be enough before Ben Hessell found himself free to stroke into the far corner with less than 30 seconds left to cue jubilant celebrations from the students.

That would be short-lived, however, as McIntosh nicked the ball from under Hawker’s nose before knocking into an empty net with just seven seconds to go to send his side three points clear of Saints. St Andrews now face Dundee Celtic next week to decide the runners-up spot.

Dundee West’s Mikey Craig goes for goal against Dundee University.

West, meanwhile, did Montrose and St Andrews a favour by ending Dundee University’s league campaign on a disappointment.

The champions were just far too good on the night and showed no mercy as they swept into a 4-0 lead at the break with Jimmy Webster’s volleyed finish the pick of the bunch.

The goals kept coming as an on-fire West strolled to victory with Chris Brash notching four, Mikey Craig, Declan Gallagher and Jamie Reilly each getting braces and Danny Moir finally getting in on the act in the closing stages.

Lewis Monaghan and Anthony Darlington replied on a sobering night for the students.

Dundee City (white) were deserved winners over Dundee Stars.

Dundee City made it three wins in a row and 11 points picked up from their last 15 with a deserved 3-1 victory over Dundee Stars to finish their campaign on a high.

Steven McLauchlan broke the deadlock after 14 minutes before City stretched their legs – and their lead.

Aarryn Jackson put them in control after 23 minutes before Paul Blair hit home from range. Lewis Thomson would grab one back for Stars with six minutes to go but City held on to win.

Dryburgh see an effort kept out against Dundee West FD (yellow).

Dryburgh, too, were celebrating as they came from behind to go level on points with beaten opponents Dundee West FD.

FD got off to a great start as Mark McDonald bundled home from close range after just three minutes. Dryburgh slowly got themselves going and showed a real threat before Peter Hine levelled 10 minutes later.

They were behind again before the break, however, as Steve Brown rattled in a contender for Goal of the Month for March as he chipped the ball up before smashing a volley into the roof of the net.

It looked like Dryburgh would be cast adrift at the bottom of the SFL-Dundee table but they had other plans as Charles King netted twice in six second-half minutes to give his side a welcome success.