WATCH: MD 17 – Battle for second spot hots up

The battle for second spot will go right to the wire in SFL-Dundee after a low-scoring night at DISC saw three sides go level on points.

With Dundee Celtic punished by the SFL Disciplinary Committee for fielding a banned player by a deduction of nine points, the three teams behind them took full advantage.

And to cap Celtic’s woes they were beaten by a resurgent Dundee City side moving swiftly up the division.

Wins each for St Andrews University, Dundee University and Montrose have seen all three head into the final two matchdays of the league season equal on 25 points.

Stars go for goal against St Andrews University.

The Saints kicked off the night with a hard-fought victory over a Dundee Stars side fresh from their penalty shootout victory over champions Dundee West.

In a match of few chances, played out in the middle of the court, St Andrews eventually grabbed the lead with top scorer Akira Bowler firing in from long range with a low strike after half-an-hour of goalless play.

Stars’ side was similar to the one that impressed so against West but finishing the match with a youthful line-up, St Andrews pulled away with Bowler adding his second and Griffin Godsick breaking clear in the final seconds to make it 3-0.

Dundee City celebrate Christopher Robson’s (left) opening goal against Dundee Celtic.

Then came Celtic’s meeting with in-form Dundee City and another tight clash.

Once more goals were in short supply with neither able to break the deadlock in the opening half with both keepers on top.

City finally found the breakthrough as Christopher Robson put his team ahead on 26 minutes. Celtic, though, weren’t done as Darren Watson levelled matters five minutes later.

Either side could have won it from there but City grabbed their third win in four matches through Andrew Higgins’ last-minute winner.

Dryburgh take the game to Dundee University.

Joining St Andrews on 25 points were Dundee University after they edged out bottom side Dryburgh.

A second-half blitz saw the students come from behind after Hine’s first-half strike. Matthew Sousa levelled on 25 minutes before they sped into a 4-1 lead within four minutes as Jack Penn, Craig Birnie and Pejk Amoroso put their side in a commanding position.

Dryburgh, however, made it a tense finish as Adris Hanif grabbed one with five to go and Dolan added a third but there was no late equaliser.

Bryan Deasley on the ball for Montrose.

The week finished off with a physical contest between Montrose and Dundee West FD with the former coming out 3-0 winners.

Both sides went close in the opening stages before a fine team move saw the Montrose front line combine to give Andy Black the easiest of finishes after 17 minutes.

With the clock ticking down to half-time Ryan Sivewright smashed in a low effort to put his side in control before Bryan Deasley continued his scoring start to life in futsal with a third midway through the second half.

With St Andrews to face Montrose and Celtic in their final two fixtures, the battle for second promises to go right to the final buzzer.