WATCH: Futsal – Stars shock West to set up Montrose final

There was no less drama at DISC this week despite only two matches being played as Dundee Stars pulled off a big shock in the SFL-Dundee League Cup semi-finals.

A new-look Stars side, with the bench filled to overflowing, became the first side all season to stop league champions Dundee West with a penalty shootout victory after a 3-3 draw.

Waiting for them in the final were Montrose after they won through with a deserved 3-1 victory over Dundee West FD in the first semi of the night.

With their first and second strings kept apart in the draw, West were hoping to see both their sides in the final with their top team defending last season’s trophy.

However, Montrose and Stars had other ideas and will face off at the end of the season for the title on March 28.

Nuno Borges scores for Montrose against Dundee West FD.

The first contest of the night was in the balance for the opening half-hour with goalkeepers Billy Hoon and David Boylan on top and keeping the strikers at bay.

Chances came and went at both ends with Steve Brown rolling one just past the post for West FD before Montrose took control with the opening goal.

New signing Bryan Deasley has shown himself a real threat but he was denied by a good close-range stop by Boylan in the West FD net only for the ball to drop for Nuno Borges to slide and knock into an empty net.

It was a deserved lead at the break for Montrose but they were pegged back within two minutes of the restart as Mark McDonald broke down the right and fired into the far corner to level things up.

Mark McDonald finds the net for Dundee West FD against Montrose.

The semi-final was in the balance before Montrose took advantage of a bit of fortune as the buzzer went as they took a corner. West FD stopped though play hadn’t, with no button having been pressed by the officials, and John McIntosh smashed in a fine strike to put his side ahead.

Their place in the final was then sealed three minutes later as Deasley made it two goals in two games for his new side, seeing his shot go in off the far post.

It was expected they’d face West for the trophy but there was a shock on the cards as Stars took the tie with a side full of new faces.

Chris Brash (red and blue) finds the net for Dundee West against Dundee Stars.

And the young team got off to the perfect start as Louie Anderson netted just a minute into the contest after a good break.

West, though, began to show their dominance of the ball and they got back on level terms as Jamie Reilly’s close-range effort beat Darren Clarkson in the Stars goal.

Three minutes later, however, Stars were back ahead. There was a big slice of fortune about it, though, as Calvin Colquhoun’s long-range effort rebounded off the post and in off goalkeeper Rob Black.

Again the lead didn’t last long as Within a minute it was 2-2 with Chris Brash seeing his effort deflect into the net on 11 minutes.

It was compelling stuff with West pushing for the lead and Stars happy to sit in and try to hit them on the counter-attack.

On 35 minutes, finally West’s pressure paid off and Reilly battered in his second of the night. At that point, it looked like business as usual with the champions having won all 16 previous matches this season but Stars kept plugging away and Faisal Ahmed was in the right place at the right time to make it 3-3 with two minutes to go.

That saw the match head to a penalty shootout with Stars’ Gavin Ogilvie firing in his spot-kick before seeing goalkeeper Darren Clarkson send his side to the final by saving the final kick.

Gavin Ogilvie powers in a penalty for Dundee Stars as they beat Dundee West in the League Cup semi-final.