Home Nations: Disappointing end for Scotland as England seal title

Scotland suffered a disappointing end to the 2018 Futsal Home Nations as England sealed the trophy for the second straight year.

Going into the final match of the weekend, Scott Chaplain’s men had the chance to achieve their best-ever finish and points total but were humbled 6-2 by a vibrant Wales display.

With the Scots and Welsh finishing on three points, that allowed England to seal a successful defence of their 2017 crown with a 3–1 victory over Northern Ireland.

Scotland 2-6 Wales

Scotland had finished third in each of the two previous competitions but were eyeing a second win of the competition to put them second after seeing off Northern Ireland 6-2 in the opening match.

Despite having lost to both England and the Northern Irish, Wales, however, were in no mood to allow that and raced into a 4-0 first-half lead.

Chris Hugh set them on their way with a low finish before the Scottish defence were caught sleeping from a corner, letting Jonathon Nelson fire in from close range. More poor goals from a Scotland point of view followed as Wales flew into a 4-0 lead before Craig Holmes got the Scots on the scoresheet with a long shot that caught out the goalkeeper.

Wales stretched their lead through Connor Rogers’ good low strike before the break and then Adam Orme tapped in to make it 6-1 after half-time.

Kyle Ballingall knocked in a consolation as time ticked on to make it 6-2 but there was no comeback forthcoming from the Scots as they finished third for the third year running.


Northern Ireland 1–3 England

England sealed the trophy for the second year on the bounce but had to be patient against a spirited Northern Ireland side.

The hosts still had an outside chance of winning the tournament on home soil but needed a convincing victory over the favourites.

They held strong in a close first half, though went in at the break behind after Dean Withers lost his marker and finished at the far post.

And England asserted their control over the contest just two minutes into the second period as William Wallace was given freedom to crack in a low strike from a well-worked set-piece.

The home support, however, were cheering as their side halved the deficit with eight minutes remaining through Conor Glenholmes following up to knock into an empty net.

England sealed the trophy with four minutes remaining as Raoni Medina scored at the far post to win the 2018 crown for his country.