League Cup kicks off with nerve-jangling ties

Montrose beat Dundee Celtic on penalties.

The 2018/19 SFL Dundee League Cup kicked off with some nerve-jangling
first-round ties at DISC.

The first three matches were decided by just the single goal, with the fourth requiring a penalty shoot-out to divide the teams.

The competition began with a bang as Dundee West FD raced into a lightning-fast lead through top goalscorer Mark McIntosh as he rattled in off the woodwork inside the first minute before adding a second on nine minutes.

Opponents St Andrews University got one back through Philip Durrant in the second half and were unfortunate not to equalise in the closing seconds with two efforts cleared off the line by FD.

That was followed by another tight affair as Dundee University edged out Dundee City 3-2 after going behind. Aarryn Jackson grabbed the first of the game after four minutes for City as they started brightly. Craig Birnie levelled midway through the half before Jackson again put his side ahead after half-time. Minutes later Lewis Monaghan equalised before Birnie netted in the final minute to send his side through.

The reward for the win is a tie against holders Dundee West for a place in the semi-finals.

Along with Dundee West FD, Dundee Stars are already waiting in the final four after a last-gasp success over Dryburgh. Zak Benmalik rattled in the opener for Stars with Brandon Hawes and Sean Snee quickly turning it around before the break. Stars, however, fought back to go ahead once more as the match swung from one side to the other through Louie Anderson and Adam Shaffi goals. Then a dramatic finish saw Chris Peachey make it 3-3 in the final minute before Gavin Ogilvie netted with less than 10 seconds remaining to win it.

The drama wasn’t over, however, as Montrose battled from behind against Dundee Celtic.Celtic were in control early on as Jordan Elder and Flynn Duffy put them 2-0 up. Shaun Henderson got one back before Duffy added his second. Montrose, though, wasn’t finished as Craig Webb rattled in off the post before Andy Black sent the game to spot-kicks. Billy Hoon saved four of five penalties as John McIntosh and Nuno Borges strikes sent Montrose through 2-0.